Wednesday, March 5, 2014

24 Weeks


This week marks week 24 of my pregnancy with Peyton Timothy. 24 weeks in the "prego world" is called "viability." After 24 weeks, your baby has a much higher chance of making it, should anything happen where you'd go in to labor early. With Elijah, I remember feeling like this was a HUGE deal. But now, I'm having a hard time being optimistic.

My childhood BFF and I haven't seen each other since her wedding in 2011, but had plans to meet up soon (she was living in Germany). She was due with her first child, a boy, in about 4 months, when she went in to labor early and lost her baby. She was 27 weeks along, so past "viability". I don't know any details, because honestly I'm terrified to ask, but I was heartbroken for them when I heard this news. I had visions of her family moving back to this area some day, and our boys being friends like we were. Her son, Austin, would have been in the same grade as Peyton growing up, and Elijah could have been the "cool older brother" that could show them the ropes. She has never met Elijah, but we were supposed to meet up around Christmas when she was in town last.
I feel selfish for being so upset over them losing their baby, because I can only imagine how they are feeling, but this is why "viability" doesn't seem like a big deal to me anymore.
One of my online mom friends told me to look at it this way: After 24 weeks, your doctor will try to save your baby, should anything happen. It's not guaranteed that your baby will make it, just that the doctors will try harder. I am trying to hold on to that and still have hope, but sometimes I feel like something bad has to happen to us, because we've been so fortunate. Being pregnant is HARD! There are so many worries and fears and unknowns...

I am just praying that whatever happens will be God's will, and that he will help John and I get through any hard times that may come our way.


**I do not plan on sharing this blog, as it contains personal information about my friend.**
sorry for the depressing blog post. i'm a barrel of emotions lately!

No comments:

Post a Comment